Monday, June 1, 2009

Baby-mania, Bruschi and Kodi

Brian and I frequently say to each other that we can't remember our lives before Bruschi, and it is even hard to remember what it was like to only have one dog, prior to Kodi. Our vocabulary quickly adapted to include words like "no-pull harness, raw food," and "veterinary opthamalogist," and questions like "Did they both poop? What color was it? Did he pull on the leash? Did she have a good time at day care?"


Now, with baby on the way, our regular conversations include words like "Pack N Play," "receiving blankets," "bouncy chair" and god help me, "stroller travel systems." I do remember when these weren't part of our vocabulary.


Silly me for not realizing the full, excessive extent of pregnancy/new baby merchandising....this coming from someone who admittedly is part of the "dog collar of the month" club. I love to shop and buy, I love novelties and accessories. I am a consumer at heart--But I assure you, this is over the top. Selecting a stroller was more difficult, and is taking longer than when I decided to purchase my first new car back in 2005. Business opportunity for Volkswagen: Start making strollers and car seats- oh, and helmets for babies riding in convertibles for your brand loyalists. And, I've seen more versions and types of blankets for babies than I tried on wedding dresses. Someday, I am sure Vera Wang will own that line as well.


Despite my tendency toward consumerism in general, the main focus of my baby prep is not the acquisition of all sorts of plastic baby gear-- its prepping Bruschi and Kodi (and Brian and I) for a teeny tiny human heartbeat that comes complete with lots of crying, dirty diapers, demanding feeding schedules and oodles of special attention from friends and family members. Its breaking bad habits that we've allowed to develop and tolerated over the past three years because they really didn't bother us that much. And, its creating new routines for them that will make for a more harmonious household.


We started this a few weeks back, moving the dogs to a once-daily feeding schedule (critics, have a field day here), and this weekend, even made them sit in the back-seat vs. my lap on the long, traffic-heavy drive to and from NY. This month, we are going to crack-down on turning noise outside the house (that usually brings upon non-stop barking) into a cue for "go get your ball." July we'll start with baby noises, and in August, the stroller (oh, god help me again) will make its debut on our walks.


I'm reading a few books by well-respected dog training professionals on what to do to get the pups ready for bambino. I know that bringing in a baby will be a huge change on them, and I really want to minimize other abrupt shifts during that time. It will certainly be an ongoing process for all of us, and I can't say that I am absent any fears or concerns-- because there are plenty.


I'm also spending a lot of time rebuking accusations that my dogs will become second class citizens in their own home once the baby arrives, explaining to people if that does happen, I will not only be a bad dog mom, but also a bad baby mama as well.


Surely, there will be more to come on this topic, but..


That's a "woof" for now!

No comments: